Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Photo Sorting




Ever since I started shooting digital it has always bothered me that I don't have a hard copy of every picture I have taken. Not that they are all great by any means but I don't have that many printed since July of 2005. Brooklyn's poor album ends at about the time she is 15mo old. (mind you she does have alot of these photos in her scrapbook.) Anyways, my picture folders have left much to be desired in the organization department and it has been weighing on my mind heavily. I mean, I took well over 1500 photos in 2005 alone! When I bought my DSLR I organized all of my files by date taken so they are all good and in order. With my first digital I named every file, very bad!! So tonight in the last 2 hours I have now renamed all of my 2005 files, organized them in chronological order, and backed them up on one DVD! Now all I have left are 2006 files, which are all ready to go, and the ones from this year. I am feeling good! I also found an easy way to burn them onto DVD and even add files to that same DVD. Now most of you probably already knew how to do this but it has been quite a learning process for me. I have many CD's with all of my files here and there, as I always back them up before deleting off my card (if you don't do this you are asking for trouble), but now I have a master DVD for each year so if I need a photo all I have to do is look it up. I am not sure how London Drugs will cope with a DVD with 1500 photos on it so it may be interesting. Now I just need to wait for a BIG sale on developing so I can get some hard copies!!! Here are a few old pictures I came across. I may have posted them here once before but here they are again.

6 comments:

Poetsch Family said...

Cute photos. Your girls are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to hear the DVD backup method! Can you email me? And for developing, I've been using Shutterfly.com. WAY cheaper than LD, and GREAT quality. Plus, it mails to your house!

K said...

I am with you. I read an article on how digital cameras can also be a bit of a downfall if you dont back them up by developing because CD's can get lost or scratched etc... I have so many to develop. Let me know if you find that sale on developing! We have tons of photos even from the past few months alone. Aliah takes photos of every rock, fossil, tree, animal track, you name it. I dont have the heart to delete too many so it will cost me a small fortune to develop them.

Leanna said...

Wow...I think I have to get my stuff together and do this..I have pics from way back and we have since switched digital cameras so the prints on our old ones aren't even that nice..My mother in law is great cause she refuses a digital camera and prints all her pictures (she takes at least 2 rolls when she's around, no joke) and gets me a copy too..Oh long comment sorry but you got me thinking! THANKS!

Vicki said...

I'm in the same boat. Those pictures are fantastic, though!!! We have a DVD backup which we update at least every month and keep it in our firesafe box! Jo's right, your girls are striking!

Christy and Dustin said...

Heidi, you should totally sign up with Shutterfly. You can sign up for thier annual print plan too and save thirty percent. It's nice not to have to go anywhere to get your pictures printed.