Thursday, April 13, 2006

My baby is 2



It hit me yesterday and then again last night, my baby is no longer a baby but a growing, independent toddler. It makes me sad and to tell you the truth, after a day of holding it in, the flood gates opened last night. I'm sure Steve thought I was being a little over emotional about the whole thing, but knowing that the part of my life as a mother to a "baby" is over. It is bittersweet. I never felt this way with the other girls and every milestone they passed made me excited for what was yet to come. I guess knowing that I would get to experience these milestones with Brooklyn made them easier to accept. Now that she is two, there are so many things that are bringing us farther and farther away from the baby stage. Don't get me wrong, I am excited she sleeps through the night, and that I can have some time to myself and not worry about rushing home to feed her. I love that we can now communicate and carry on little conversations using real understandable words. I love how just watching her I can imagine what is going through her mind. I love watching her play at the park and not have to worry about her eating the rocks and dirt. I love watching her little personality emerge, the goofy smiles and the sense of humour she is getting. I love that she still loves to cuddle and rock in the chair before bed. I love that she exerts her independence. Actually that one is a lie. I would rather her not. As time moves quickly by in our busy lives we move from a family with babies and preschoolers to a family of children in school, and then heaven forbid a household with three teenage daughters. It saddens me to think that I will never experience pregnancy, childbirth, and babyhood again but I am excited to see the firsts we have yet to experience.
Brooklyn got this umbrella from the girls for her birthday and as you can see by the smile on her face, she loves it. I know, it is open in the house but since I do not believe in superstitions it is ok! We are having a Dora cake and a little get together tonight with friends and family so will post more pictures later. Right now, the birthday girl is sound asleep, which surprises me because I had to wake her up at 8:25this am. I am sure she will be up at 6 tomorrow being it is a holiday!!!

5 comments:

Angella said...

Happy Birthday Brooklyn!!!

Poetsch Family said...

We had fun at your party Brooklynn. I can't believe our babies are 2 already. Time flies when you are having fun.

Vicki said...

Happy Birthday Brooklyn! I can't believe you're already two. Heidi, I remember being on the beach with you a few summers ago when you were thinking about having another baby. And now she's two! My, how time DOES fly!!

karen said...

Happy Birthday, Brooklyn!!

I too remember seeing you with her, Heidi, when she was just a couple of weeks old. Seems like yesterday. She really is getting to be such a big girl!

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Brooklyn!

Bittersweet ... you said it perfectly. :)