Wednesday, April 05, 2006

No more training wheels!

For those who don't know, last years attempts at teaching Delaney and Avery how to ride their bikes on two wheels ended with Steve and I both out of breath running behind and holding on to the girls on their bikes, and the girls in tears. Delaney, for most of the summer could care less if she sat on her bike or not. The conversation in the van between Delaney and Avery this afternoon on the way back from Avery's dance class consisted of them wondering when mom was going to put their training wheels back on so they could ride their bikes. I got into the conversation by saying never. If the bikes were to be ridden this year it would be without training wheels. Delaney is seven! At 4:45 this afternoon I was filling up flat tires and mentally preparing myself for whining, crying, frustration, and then quitting but to my surprise it didn't happen, for Delaney that is. She hopped on her 2 wheeled bike, pushed herself around the yard for a bit, then after about 20 min was riding up and down the road, big smile on her face! She was beaming. I don't think she even thought this is how it would end. Avery tried really hard and almost has it. There were a few tears of frustration. Avery is very competitive and it bothers her that she can't ride as well as her sister. I know this determination will see Avery riding her 2 wheeler very soon. She isn't quite 5 and I did remind her of this.

5 comments:

Angella said...

Oh the freedom - for them AND you!

Amanda Brown said...

So cool! By the way, the new camera takes AMAZING photos! You are lucky indeed! :)

Poetsch Family said...

Way to go Delaney!!!!

Vicki said...

Awesome job on the training wheels, Delaney! Avery, you'll be doing it before you know it. And on a separate note, I miss home (and you mentioning ballet calss reminds me that I should have been there, too!). When is the recital? I think we'd like to come back for it. Both girls really miss ballet.

K said...

I had Aidan out on his bike a few days ago, holding onto the back seat and trying like a mad woman to hang on, keep up, hold him all at once. By the end of an hour he was riding solo. He had begun riding last year a bit on his own but over the fall and winter they forget when they are just starting out.

Now we have gone riding bikes every day. All 4 of us together. It is such a neat feeling.

It totally reminds me that our kids dont need us over organizing everything for them. They dont need us leading the way in everything. We didnt teach our kids to walk or start speaking the same words as us. They learn this by watching us modeling and by instinct.

Aidan said, "mommy thanks for teaching me to ride my bike." I had to remind him that I had nothing to do with it. I just stayed very silent and held my hand behind him to catch him if he needed me.

and let him lead...