Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's like pulling teeth

Literally! Last month at Delaney's dentist appointment it was pointed out to me that two of her permanent teeth on either side of the two front bottom ones were growing in behind the baby teeth. It kinda looked like a 2nd row like in a shark mouth! Anyways, Delaney was told that she was to try and get these baby teeth out or we would have to go back and have them pulled. Anyone who knows Delaney well, knows she does not cope well with pain or blood, or just the mere anticipation of same. These 2 teeth have been loose for sometime now but in no uncertain terms would she let me in her mouth. Being threatened with the "yankers" at the dentist to my surprise she actually pulled one out by herself with minimal hysteria, a few weeks ago. (Unlike the teeth pulling of last christmas, but that is a story in itself.) Tonight on the other hand was a whole different story. Her back row tooth was looking a little grungy so I insisted the baby one must come out! Several tactics failed, and there were lots of screeches and tears. Then it came to me...baby oragel! Yup, I numbed up all around the tooth, pulled, and out it came!! With minimal hysteria. Delaney has only donated two of her six teeth to the toothfairy, but she definately wanted to trade this one in for some cash. I am sure she is thinking good ridance. I will definately be keeping the oragel on hand for the next fangs that need to be pulled. I have a feeling orthodontics are in the future.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Smart thinking with the mouth numbing! Oh, and save me a seat at the Ortho clinic. I'm right behind you!

Anonymous said...

We have the same problems with Vayda. Her baby teeth just won't fall out. Good for her being brave after the orajel, smart thinking by you by the way.

Anonymous said...

Orajel! Brilliant...gonna stock up on some. Cassie hasn't lost any of her teeth and she is feeling left out from her friends. I bet she'll be changing her mind when the first tooth comes out!
Way to go Delaney! *love that name*

Anonymous said...

That's why you're a nurse!

Happy Belated Birthday!