Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Altered Letters







Ever since I saw Jolanda's christmas present from Kelly, I have been inspired to do something with the set of wooden letters Avery recieved for her birthday.The letters spelled out her name and were made out of rough unfinished wood. The technique I used altered the letters by painting and applying scrapbook paper to the raised surfaces. I found a good tutorial on scrapjazz.com that made it fairly simple. Avery was excited because I let her pick out the paint colour and to some extent she had a say on the paper. Of course I only let her pick from a select few that I liked also. Modge Podge secured the paper to the sanded, painted wood, and after some sanding for texture, and inking I covered the whole letter again in the modge podge. Once dry I embellished with flowers I had in my stash. I am so happy that it is done and I love how they turned out. Avery's room is pink with blue accents so they should go perfectly. Now I just need to decide if I will hang them on the wall or set them on her shelf. I am in the craft mood again and think I should make a trip to michael's in kelowna to find some more letters.

6 comments:

K said...

Heidi- your letters are absolutely gorgeous!!!! I love the look of them so much. Scrapjazz is where I also found the idea. they have alot of neat ideas on there for altered items. You are so crafty. Nice job.

Anonymous said...

You are SO crafty. You'll have to teach me sometime :)

Anonymous said...

They turned out really nice Heidi.
I think they should go on the shelf.

Anita said...

They look great---I'm with your mom..on the shelf!!

karen said...

So cool! Nice job, they look awesome!

Vicki said...

Beautiful!