Thursday, January 26, 2006

What a Night

It has been a long time since I have done any scrapbooking, and by a long time I mean at least a month so last night Jolanda invited me over to do just that. We were getting lots accomplished but at 10:00 the phone call came in...Steve called and all he said was "I need you home." His voice was kinda funny so when I asked why he proceeded to tell me that my little Brooklyn was not well. He had gone in to her crying around 9:30 and found her in the corner of her crib, two stuffies and two blankets in arms, covered in barf. And not just her but her entire crib was full. Being a nurse this kind of stuff really doesn't bother me but I have to give Steve credit. When I got home 10 minutes later he was cuddling her in the rocking chair, bucket in hand, crib stripped of all linen which had made it to the washer. Brooklyn had had her second bath of the night and was in her third pair of jammies by this time. I took over the care of the sickie and Steve continued to clean the carpet and collect the rest of the laundry. Brooklyn was dry heaving by this time and I realized I would be in for a long night. She was getting pretty good at hitting the bucket! I told Steve he might as well go to bed so if I needed to sleep later he could spell me off, so off he went. Brooklyn and I settled in on the couch and slept for a few minutes here and there between the barfing. Poor thing was so thirsty that she hopped off the couch, staggered to the kitchen to get a cup for water. She kept whining "wawa" so I let her have it even though it came back up after about 5 minutes. We had about enough of the couch sleeping by 1:30 so into the playpen she went which was set up in our room. She slept and I jumped every time she russled around. I think it was 4:00am by the time I actually slept more than 15 min at a time. Lucky for me Steve decided to stay home from work today. He took the kids to school and playschool and when he got back I was able to crawl into bed for a couple more hours of sleep. Thankfully it is now 12:45 and Brooklyn is napping in her freshly made crib, and has not barfed since 6:00am. I think the worst is over, until the next one gets it!! The only good thing about the whole night is Brooklyn really wanted to cuddle. Too bad this is what it takes to slow her down.

5 comments:

K said...

Poor girl! What a horrible mess to go through. It is so hard on them when they are sick. Also the parents! Me and the kids are still sick. Aliah threw up yesterday and Aidan was all cuddles. He is SO full of energy usually, but last night while I was making supper, he went over with a blanket and just lay on the floor and was so quiet.

Hopefully your little one is back to her old self soon.

Glad you got some scrapbooking time in. I have a few more albums on eBay if you want to look!- just go to my blog and click on the last link under my girl album.

Jen said...

Poor girl! I hope she is feeling well soon!

Angella said...

No doubt! Poor baby! Hope tonight is better :)

Vicki said...

It just makes me sad to read it...poor Brooklyn! It's the worst when the kids are sick and we are completely helpless as parents. Hope she feels better soon, and that the rest of the McKelvey family stays healthy:)

Poetsch Family said...

Poor brooklyn. I feel for you and her. Hopefully things are better tonight. Lets hope the others don't get.