Wednesday, January 11, 2006
The tantrum of all tantrums
Well, today it was my turn to be the mother that those of us with toddlers all empathize with and watch with the "I'm glad it's not me look." Avery had an eye appointment in Kelowna today and with wishful thinking I figured we first would stop at the mall and do some returns at Please Mom. I stopped at the kiosk and borrowed a double stroller thinking that with some snacks I could quickly do my things and possibly even have a chance to zip into the Gap. Was I wrong!! Brooklyn was more interested at crawling in and out of the stroller and forget the snacks. For those of you that have been to the Please mom at Orchard Park there is a little table with toys in the back that are intended to keep your child busy while you shop. Such is true if yours is the only child at the table, but just as we were about to leave a nice, placid, quiet little boy was trying to play and Brooklyn just yanked the toy from this little guy. The screaming started as I tried to pry the toy from Brooklyn's iron grip and it was all downhill from here. Thank goodness Avery is able to navigate a stroller because I was very much preoccupied with keeping a screaming flailing toddler in my arms. Avery almost had to run to keep up to my hurried pace. Once back at the stroller kiosk I put Brooklyn, still screaming, on the floor and proceeded to check in the stroller. I offered her to them but they graciously declined!! The one lady though had the nerve to comment on my very red face. How dare she. I felt like saying " you try to carry a 32lb screaming, flailing toddler through the whole of the mall and see what colour your face is!!!" Anyways we managed to get to the van and with effort into the carseat and I closed the door. I proceeded to call my dad to see if I could come early and put her to bed. Needless to say that was the extent of my shopping. On a good note though, it did probably save me alot of money. I am sure I will not be attempting this anytime soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Nathan was doing that exact same flailing, screaming thing...well, it's a given he'll do it almost every time I pick him up when we're out in public. I'm getting used to "that look"
:)
Ben showed a nice display of kicking and screaming when we tried to leave Puddle Jumpers yesterday. Not impressed. You are brave to take them to the mall. Imagine someday you'll be doing all you can to keep her AWAY from the mall.
I experience tht on a daily basis with Kayla - she is so strong willed. Today it was because I wouldn't let her have her own cart at the grocery store before puddle jumpers. There'll probably be an article about it in the review on Thursday (cuz people REALLY took notice)!
I guess Heidi, you're definetely not alone because that scenario is so familiar to me too! Over Christmas, we went to the mall with Trav's mom and the kids, and Sarah was just in awe over all the stores etc -- because for that very kicking and screaming reason, she has not SEEN the inside of the mall very often at all in her short life!!!
What gave these girls the right to behave like 2 year olds. Not fair. Vayda wasn't like that at all. But my darling Tessa on the other hand, she is a "Joy"
Post a Comment