Monday, April 30, 2007

Looking Back

I don't know about you but we have hours and hours of video of our kids. As they have gotten older it seems like we only video birthdays, christmas, and special events. Steve had the camera out last weekend and did some video of Brooklyn riding her little Fisher Price rocking horse(for which she is too big), wearing pink sunglasses and a pink cowboy hat. She was singing a little made up song and after each verse would take off her hat, wave it in the air, and say "woo hoo". It is so funny to watch and I would share it here but our camera was bought before the digital ones came out. This brings me to the real reason for this post. The girls were begging to watch some old footage of when they were babies. Unfortunately, Delaney only has video starting at 9mos old as that is when we bought our camera. We started with the tape of Brooklyn, and the moments after her birth. Believe it or not, I had never watched it. It was neat to see her initial assessment on the infant warmer, and the comments being made. These things you often miss as the mom being across the room in the bed. I forgot how her cry sounded and little things about the way she looked. Brooklyn was in awe watching herself as a newborn. The video continued up to her first year and I loved reliving this time in our life. Avery was the same age Brooklyn is now and her face was still so round, eyes so big, and her voice so little. Delaney too looked so small being only 5. I am amazed at how much they have changed. One doesn't realize until they are taken back in time, at least I didn't. That night as I tucked Delaney in bed she begged me to have another baby, and I mean begged! She was quite upset that I said it wasn't going to happen. Then the inevitable question came..."how does the baby get in your tummy?". That answer I have postponed, at least for now, and she seems ok with that thankfully. You would think that in my line of work I could come up with an answer appropriate for an 8yr old, but I definately need some prep time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Delaney. What's one more anyway??? The world is make up in even numbers so four children seems only fair!!!
It has been my absolute joy to be the Grandma to these special angels. And I am so honored to have been present for each one's arrival into this world. I love you Heidi. You are an awsome MOM!!!

karen said...

I too, love watching old videos. Should definetely do that more often!

Jen F said...

I wish we had more videos of Katie, we bought a camera last year but I am so used to my picture camera I forget to bring the video one out.
Katie asked me last week how babies get in your tummy - she beggs nearly every day for a sibling so I new the question was on its way. I must admit I fumbled a bit too and then gave her a vague explanation of a bit from a daddy and a bit from a mommy mixing together to start a baby seed...followed by "its quite complicated and until you're older and understand a body better its a bit hard to understand". She seemed ok with that but I was dissapointed in myself for not being smoother and more comfortable about it, I really want her to feel comfortable talking to me about that kind of stuff later. At least she didnt ask me how the daddy's bit gets into the mommy!!!