Thursday, October 27, 2005

Field Trip

Today I had the pleasure of accompanying Avery's playschool class on their first field trip of the year. We visited the trout hatchery or fish factory as Avery calls it. Ten preschoolers and almost as many parents made their way to lower town in Summerland to learn about trout and how they come to be in our many lakes. It is quite the process and not all of it is left up to the fish. I have lived in Penticton since I was 5, and then as an adult in Summerland and never realized that the hatchery is actually a tourist destination. I remember going there in about grade three but that was more years ago than I care to recall. The kids all had a great time learning about fish and even got to feed them out in their holding tank. The best thing for me about the trip was just getting to go. Being a working mom of three I feel a little gyped at times. I will never be able to be the weekly helper mom at school,(at least not until Brooklyn is in school), and I am not always available to accompany the kids on their many outings and adventures. So when I do get to go I enjoy every minute of it. I look forward to our next school field trip and hope I will be off and able to tag along. (I am thankful though to have a great job and am fortunate enough to work part time!!)

No comments: