Monday, February 06, 2006
5 Love Languages
This past Friday our Parents of Purpose group held the first of three parenting classes based on the book "The 5 Love Languages of Children." A group of 15 or so of us with children ranging in ages from 1 - 12, spent time determining how to best show love to our children based on the way each of them receives love, or their love language. As the book states their are 5 ways to give and receive love to child, 1. words of affiramation, 2. physical touch, 3. gifts, 4. acts fo service, and 5. quality time. They say by age 5 you should be able to tell what category your child falls into. I sat and thought about my own children. Do I speak their love language? It is one thing to tell your child that you love them but saying and showing are two different things. By speaking their love language you cand fill them up emotionally, showing unconditional love. In our family I know that Delaney and Avery speak very different love languages. Delaney is definately a "quality time" and I really notice it in her behavior if things have been really busy and we haven't had this time together. She loves doing things with me and now that she is in school full time it seems as though I really have to make the effort to find time just for her. Delaney feels the most loved when I spend time doing things with her. This weekend we scrapbooked together (I am glad she enjoys this) and even though I didn't get much of my own scrapbooking accomplished I could tell it mean't alot to her. Avery on the other hand is my cuddle bug. She loves physical touch and will often come up to me and ask to snuggle. Who whould have known. As a baby she had no time to cuddle and now she loves it. Brooklyn is still to young to determine her love language but with her constant need to "play guys" I am guessing she will also be a quality time. There is so much to know and learn about parenting, that I hope I am doing things right. I know I love my kids and I just hope they realize how much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was pretty disappointed that I missed the class. Sounds like some good stuff to know!
I'm really enjoying the class too! Jordan and I read the 5 Love Languages for marriage and it really changed the way we show our love for one another.
Post a Comment