Thursday, October 26, 2006
Big Girl Bed
Last Thursday Brooklyn and I ventured into town to look for matresses as the time had come to make the transition into a big girl bed. Both of my other girls were in a bed way before now and even though she had yet to climb out of her crib, I was awoken each morning to her calling me,"mommy! up!". My thinking is now she can get herself up and I can sleep a little longer. We ended up ordering a twin boxspring and mattress from Sears but it wasn't to be delivered until this week. In the meantime I had made Brooklyn a little bed on the floor with a foamie, just as a transition. At least this way she couldn't fall out of bed. She was very excited about her new big girl bed and the transition went smooth. Going to bed was a breeze. She has yet to come out once settled to bed, but she was found more than once in the middle of the room, asleep. She has though been awake and up in the night. She normally doesn't get up so I am hoping this is a passing thing. The first 3 mornings though she did call to get out of bed. Today her mattress arrived and thus the transformation into a little girl room has begun. Brooklyn has been telling me the past couple of days that I could now take apart the crib and today was the day. I found myself thinking back to the day we bought our crib. I was only 12wks pregnant with Delaney and as all of you with kids know, when you are pregnant for the first time it is very exciting to go shopping for baby stuff. We found this crib at toysrus, a beautiful, solid maple crib, with heavy arched head and footboard and I couldn't resist. It was exactly what I wanted and was the last one they had, and it was on sale! I found myself a little sad today as I dismantled it for the last time, knowing never again will I have a new baby of my own to put to sleep in it. I do plan on keeping it though (minus the mattress) and my hope is that one day I will have grandchildren to use it. I know, that hopefully will be many many years from now. Brooklyn's new bed is set up, well sitting on the floor, complete with a cute patchwork quilt that she got for Christmas last year. My next job is to make some curtains to replace the bear topper that currently sits there. I will save the pictures until it is all done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is beautiful...I only hope she continues to go to bed so easily!! As you well know, I don't have that luxury!! It is a bit sad to say goodbye to baby things...but we have to grow along with our beautiful kids!!
I'll be sad too when I take that crib apart for the last time. Maybe Ben can stay in it till he's 5? :)
Post a Comment