Monday, October 02, 2006
Brooklyn can Skate!
Ever since we registered Delaney and Avery for Canskate this year Brooklyn has been talking about skating: "I go skating? I go skating by myself?". Today we decided to go to the rink for mom and tot skate at noon hour. About an hour before I started to get Brooklyn prepared. Now for those of you who know Brooklyn, she is very, very particular about shoes and such. She is a one shoe at a time kinda girl so if it is sandal season that is all she will wear, one pair of sandals only. She has been wearing runners lately and will not even entertain the thought of going back to sandals. Just the other day she says"don't wear sandals anymore". I was a little skeptical about her actually wearing skates. With lots of positive talk I convinced her to try the skates on at home. I did get them on but the tears started and she wanted them off!! Was this going to be worth it? Avery was so excited to go that the thought of disappointing her was to much so off we ventured to the rink, all the way talking it up. We managed to get all of our skates on but Brooklyn would have no part of wearing mittens so bare hands it was. I figured if she got cold the mitts would be considered. We managed to get from the entrance to the bench with a few wimpers and she was happy to sit for awhile and watch. About 10 minutes into the hour she was ready and from then on she thought skating was great. I just stood behind her holding her hands as she walked in her skates. Thankfully she is tall so my back didn't get too sore. I almost couldn't get her off the ice. Avery is getting to be a great little skater and when I told her she was awesome Brooklyn piped up,"I'm awesome!" Yes Brooklyn you are Awesome. We are planning to go again Wed and I am sure it won't be long before I no longer have to hold her. Another milestone that takes her that much closer to independence, sigh! I unfortunately couldn't take any pictures of her but hopefully next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Way to go Brooklyn! I've only taken Graham once, but maybe we'll try again this winter :)
Awesome work, Brooklyn! Maybe you'll be able to teach me this winter. I used to skate as a kid and when I tried last year, it was a gong show. So, the moral of the story is: Keep up the good work!
(I just realized this Dono signed in on my computer again - this is Vicki)
That is so exciting. It is so amazing that the little ones can pick stuff up so much faster. They are trying to keep up with everyone else.
Post a Comment